Crystal Stranaghan and Wendy Dewar-Hughes on the How-to’s of Self Publishing
CJ Hunt is a writer of contemporary romance and romantic thrillers by night, and a communication, education and publishing consultant by day (as Crystal Stranaghan). Through her consulting firm – CCS-Crystal Clear Solutions – Crystal has built and maintained blogs and websites for many clients ranging from individuals to large corporations. She loves helping people learn how to use technology efficiently and effectively to help achieve their creative goals.
Wendy Dewar Hughes is passionate about books, writing and publishing and has helped numerous other writers become authors through her writing and book coaching and publishing services at Summer Bay Press. She draws from her professional and personal experience in art, design, and writing as well as sales and marketing to help her clients create books and materials that helps them reach their publishing goals.
Panel on Self Publishing October 17, 2015 – Save the Date!
RWA-GVC members Crystal Stranaghan and Wendy Dewar Hughes are both self-published authors with their own companies that help other authors with self-publishing. Instead of continuing the debate about whether to self publish or not, this workshop, October 17th, will focus on the what and how-to’s of choosing this route.
Crystal and Wendy will address the following topics:
- Changing face of publishing?
- Motivations, how do you know it is the right time?
- Why self publish vs. traditional? Combination?
- Interactive exercise on any projects people are thinking about self publishing
- thinking in “business mind”
- why we are going to talk about marketing BEFORE the rest of the process
- editing process
- where to find an editor
- how much to pay?
- how does the process work?
- Createspace, KDP, Smashwords (Wendy)
- Ingram Spark, LSI, Local Print & Distributors (Crystal)
- yours vs createspace
- Library Archives Canada process
- CIP Data
- Canada vs. US
- what NOT to do with a cover
- fitting your genre
- your readers’ expectations
- Technical considerations for different platforms (Crystal)
- sources of designs – where to get your covers done
- Word do’s and don’ts – tools for formatting, basic layout
- How the programs interact (scrivener, word, indesign) – how do you know what to use and when? Things to consider: